Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Kinesio-tape


While watching the Olympics over the past weeks, I have noticed a little bit of kinesio-tape on some of the athletes in the events.  To begin with, I do not use it, nor do I know too much about it.  Do I believe it "works?" Probably, almost everything does a little bit.  While in chiropractic college we had a little seminar/presentation about kinesio-tape.  This presentation was given to chiropractic students and chiropractors (a population that has a greater than average understanding of human physiology and biomechanics), and the presenter focused on the fact that professional teams and athletes use the tape.  In fact, she had a handout with pictures of prominent athletes who use the tape.  For me, I would rather know the science, theory, and thought behind a therapy than who uses it.  As long as the idea is logical and reasonable, I don't have any issues with the procedure and consider the validity of it.  That particular presentation just turned me off to the idea because it was presented to me as if I would be impressed by the individuals receiving it.

1 comment:

Myriah Cohen said...

So... what exactly does the tape do?

All I know is it has a cool name.